A Tribute to Dr. Venkat: A Mentor, A Friend, A True Photography Legend



I first met Dr. Venkat in the early 1980s, shortly after he returned from one of his trips to Iran. My father had bought some photography filters and accessories from him. I was still in my late teens, just starting out in the world of photography, and was instantly captivated by his deep knowledge and passion for the craft. Yet, I was too shy to ask questions. When he casually asked me a few technical things, I had no answers — I was still learning the basics.

Our paths crossed again in 1986. By then, I had established myself as an advertising and industrial photographer. I remember buying a 100-300mm Nikon zoom lens with a single aperture from Dr. Venkat for just ₹6,000. What stood out wasn’t just the lens — it was his integrity. Despite the fact that imported photography gear was rare and often sold at inflated prices during the smuggling era, he never charged a premium. He could have easily doubled the price, and I wouldn't have questioned it. But that wasn't who he was.

What truly set Dr. Venkat apart was his willingness to share his knowledge and experiences freely. He spoke with a childlike excitement about his adventures — stories of spending days in the jungle, capturing elephants up close, and waiting patiently for tigers to appear. His passion was infectious, and every conversation with him was a masterclass in photography and perseverance.

But the most unforgettable gesture — one I will always be grateful for — was his gift to me on my wedding day. He brought out his Pentax 6x7 medium format camera and captured some of the most stunning images I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t just the photographs that left people in awe — it was the fact that someone of his stature, including among my photography peers, had taken the time and effort to do this for me.

Thank you, Dr. Venkat, for everything — the gear, the stories, the lessons, and most importantly, your kindness.

You’ll be missed. Deeply.

📸 Fotocafe Studios is free & always will be
Documenting Hyderabad through visuals & sounds as an advertising & industrial photographer for 40 years, now preserving its fading games and streets before they vanish. If this story brought back a memory, consider supporting the archive.
☕ Buy me a chai or UPI: 9849191550@jupiteraxis
Even a few rupees or a chai helps me record one more disappearing sound of Hyderabad. 🙏 - Gansham

Comments