The Pentax MX Camera & my journey in photography


The Pentax MX

In those days of transiting from 120 to 35mm was becoming the norm as film quality was getting better & also the concept of photography as a memory tool was gaining ground in India. So by default my first camera became the Pentax MX as in those days Pentax was literally ruling the roost in the amateur & low end pro market in India, maybe due to its price or easy branding, I don’t know.

Also in the early 80s color film started flooding the market, with Kodak, Fuji & then Sakura (Konica) vying for the space in the customer’s mind & albums.

So coming back to the camera, it was such a sweet compact camera that I was in love with it instantly & shot some great images with it. I used to get goosebumps by looking at the ads of the same in Modern Photography & Popular Photography magazines. In fact I also requested a brochure from Pentax Company in Japan. They sent me their whole line up of cameras, lenses & accessories. It was like a Diwali Gift for me.

I added 24mm Vivitar wide angle lens as it was the only one available in Hyderabad, but was good enough to give me great saturation. I was on cloud nine with it. I did one architectural assignment with it & the customer was very happy with results.

Later I bought one Pentax ME Super to compliment the MX & used to shoot with 2 cameras in weddings, one for the traditional images & the other for candids (400ASA) with just available light.
Both the cameras served me well until one fine day I decided to switch to advertising & Industrial Photography & had to buy Nikon Systems along with Bronica 120 system camera.

I still remember with gratitude the Great Pentax MX, which launched my career & yes one fine day I shall buy one again to keep it in my showcase as a mark of respect to the makers of this beautiful Camera.  

fotocafe

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

1 comment: