Unforgettable Baba

 Dr. Leslie Fernandez


He had answers to everything, from medical to spiritual. Maybe that is why he was aptly called Baba. I do not remember when I first met him but I am sure it was for some medical help. Whenever I used to visit him with my mother he used to have lot of poor patients waiting to be attended by him as he used to cure them all free of cost. I used to wonder how he used to survive if he doesn’t take money. Then my parents explained to me that his family also runs a maternity hospital, which takes care of their subsistence. My parents saw in him a caring & sharing father as they had come to Hyderabad from Poona leaving behind all their relatives in search of a new life. Actually the relation started after my younger brother Anil was born in their hospital in 1967.
He was such a jovial personal & a pucca Hyderabadi. Whenever a patient would pester him he would jokingly say in urdu “Jao yaaro daaru peeke so jaao, sab theek ho jaata”
(Go & drink a couple of pegs of whisky & everything will be all right). I was also the victim of this joke a couple of times. In his youth also he was a legend. He used to swim the length of the Hussain Sagar in one stroke.
He was a multi faceted person and could paint, do excellent photography, write, speak in public and above all a very good Healer. Interior decorator. Hunter.
He was a member of Lion’s club and never missed a single meeting wherever he might be in the world. Needless to say that he was a dedicated social worker, if I ever saw one. This fact came to light when he was fighting his own cancer battle and he held exhibitions of his water color paintings and collected amounts for a Cancer Institute.
He also used to fast every Monday just to feel what hunger feels like. He was a very devout Christian with complete faith in Jesus, but one never felt his religion until they heard his real name. That is the sign of a real saint.
He used to share with me a lot of things and was very close to me. Sometimes he even cried on my shoulder and lightened his heart. Later on he would write a nice letter of appreciation acknowledging the fact that I lent him my shoulder to cry. He was human enough to cry and manly enough to admit, which is a very rare quality. Initially I just used to smile and forget, but now when I reflect back, I think he used to do the wisest thing in life. “Settle the accounts” HERE & NOW.
The biggest jolt for him was his son Mike’s death. Of course it was a great shock for the entire Fernandez family, but at that time I was close to him only, so can relate to his state of mind
When he passed away, I think my dad was sadder than when he lost his own father.
A salute to one the greatest Hydearabadis.
Aapka Apna
Gunshe

fotocafe

Phasellus facilisis convallis metus, ut imperdiet augue auctor nec. Duis at velit id augue lobortis porta. Sed varius, enim accumsan aliquam tincidunt, tortor urna vulputate quam, eget finibus urna est in augue.

2 comments:

  1. Gunshe,
    I’m a nephew of Leslie Fernandez. Although a U.S. resident for decades, I remain in close touch with my cousins in India. Actually, I was born in Hyderabad! Your blog is a wonderful tribute to a man we all loved and admired.

    Give me some background on your family and yourself.

    Stephen J. Mendonca
    HOUSTON, Texas
    DrMendonca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gunshe, I sent you a message about your wonderful tribute to my uncle Leslie. Did you receive it?

    Stephen J. Mendonca
    Houston, Texas
    DrMendonca@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete